Sunday, April 16, 2017

EDTECH 513: Project #7 - Google Slides Presentation

This week for our EDTECH 513 project we had to create a Google Slides presentation based on our text book readings on worked examples.  This project gave us the opportunity to incorporate the previous principles we have learned over the course of the semester into a static presentation.  I had not used Google Slides before so I was excited to be able to figure out how to construct a presentation using this tool.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use and how similar to Microsoft Powerpoint it functioned.  
To complete this presentation I first drafted a storyboard outlining what would be included in the speaker notes and the corresponding graphics and text to use on the screen.  I had initially started to include a bit of text, but then challenged myself to really use only graphics on the screen in order to reduce cognitive load on the learner.  I also tried to incorporate the personalization principle by writing the script as if the learner was an instructional designer.  After producing the storyboard for the presentation I then went into Google Slides and entered in the speaker notes.  I searched www.icons8.com in order to find all of the graphics used in the presentation.
If there was more time available I probably would have looked at the functionality within Google Slides to record narration and add in animations so that as the narration talks to a particular item, the corresponding graphic/s would also display.  I think this would make it more engaging for the learner.
Overall, I found this project to be quite fun to develop and would definitely consider using Google Slides for other projects.


Link to Google Slides Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment