Thursday, October 15, 2015

EDTECH 506: Week 8 - Figure Ground

My unit of instruction is designed to help new hires get to know the company and the items they need to learn and complete within their first 30 days of employment.
Our new hires range from newly graduated students to senior business professional from all backgrounds and cultures.

This week I designed an info graphic about the history of the company and the different companies that have come together to form the existing one.
I ended up designing two images as I felt the figure-ground was not as distinctive in the first image as in the second one.  As Lohr (2008) states, the human mind forces us to focus on one stimulus at a time (p. 102).  In my first image I felt there was too much for someone to focus on initially.  The roots were not easy to get symmetrical and also aligning the text so it looked need was a challenge.  While I like the image, I felt it was too busy and doesn't force you to focus on one particular component of the image.  The figure-ground is competing with each other (Lohr, 2008, p. 102).

Image One


The second image, however, does make you focus on the zig zag component of the image.  It stands out and is the first thing your eye is drawn to.  Using the different points with circles also directs you to the different information at those points.

Image Two


I chose to use the tree imagery from one of my other images to create a sense of continuity among the images I'm creating for this unit of instruction.  While I could've design this in a different way I like how with both of the image it still creates the meaning that these are the origins and roots of the company our new hires are working at today.

The feedback I received from my user testing was that the second image did have a component that initially jumped out to them, however, they actually liked the first image better.  I also originally had all of the text in white, yet the feedback I received was the text was easier to read in black.




Lohr, L.L. (2008). Creating graphics for learning and performance: Lessons in visual literacy (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment